The Narvar Returns & Exchanges app simplifies the exchange process by providing specific tools for tagging, managing, and automating customer exchanges. In addition to Exchanges which allow customers to exchange items for any variant (such as size) of the same product/SKU and price, the Recommended Exchanges feature can be used to group similar products and provide exchange recommendations for products across different products/SKUs. Recommended Exchanges gives customers the option to exchange unwanted items for similar items of the same or different price point than the ones originally purchased.
The Recommended Exchanges feature provides greater product selection and more flexibility for your customers, while providing you with an opportunity to retain more revenue through curated exchange recommendations.
Note: Use the analytics dashboard to track the impact of exchanges and how they drive revenue. In particular, the Percentage of Revenue Retained tile displays the percentage of recaptured revenue from exchanges made and gift cards issued during a selected time period.
By default, this Recommended Exchanges does not appear in the Exchanges settings. Please reach out to Narvar Support to have this feature enabled.
Navigate to the Narvar Returns & Exchanges app and click Settings in the top right corner. Select the Return Policy tile and click Eligibility Rules.
On the Eligibility Rules page, enable the toggle to the right of Exchanges.
You can also edit the Default Exchange Window at this time.
Note: By default, Recommended Exchanges does not appear in the Exchanges settings. Please reach out to Narvar Support to have this feature enabled.
The Exchange Details questions are used to determine whether you need to set up a payment gateway to collect payment when an exchange results in an additional charge for your customers.
Before you can begin grouping products for Recommended Exchanges, you’ll need to answer the two questions in the Exchange Details section. These questions are used to determine whether you allow exchanges for items of a different price than the item being returned and whether you need to set up a payment gateway to collect payment when an exchange results in an additional charge for your customers.
There are two main components to the Recommended Exchanges feature: the Group Prefix Tag and Exclusion Tags.
Group Prefix Tag
The Group Prefix Tag ("nvgroup_") is used to group similar products together for inclusion in Recommended Exchanges.
For example, if your store carries multiple backpack brands, you could create a group tag for “nvgroup_backpack”. Any products that have been tagged with the specific group tag will be eligible for exchange as long as the products have the same price and variant options (e.g. size).
Note About Variants: Products must have the same overarching variant options (e.g. color or size) to be grouped together, however, the underlying concept/attributes of a specific variant option do not need to be the same. For example, you may have two pairs of pants: one that comes in standard sizing options (e.g. small, medium, etc.) and another that comes in numeric size options (e.g. 30, 36, etc.). Both are “size” variants and are considered the same. Additionally, it does not matter whether the same sizes are carried or in stock.
The Exchange Group Tag Prefix is set to “nvgroup_” by default for you to create your custom exchange group tags. If you change it (ex. “nvgroup_” to “exchangegroup_”) you will need to update tags on any products where the previous tag prefix was used.
Note: As a reminder, the “nvgroup_” is used to create custom group tags like nvgroup_joggers, nvgroup_backpacks, nvgroup_shorts. It (“nvgroup_”) should not be added as a tag by itself.
Exclusion Tags are used to exclude certain products from recommended exchange groups.
The Exclusion Tags are set to “exclude_narvar_exchange” and “exclude_narvar_exchanges” by default. You can add these default tags to items you would like to exclude from your exchange groups, or create your own. You can have as many exclusion tags as you would like.
Group Products for Recommended Exchanges
Once you answer the Exchange Details questions you can begin creating your unique product exchange groups for products that are commonly exchanged. To group similar products for Recommended Exchanges, you need to create unique group tags that can then be added to each product you would like to group either using the "nvgroup_(group name)" tag or the group tag you’ve set up in your exchange settings.
Taking from the backpack example - if your store carries multiple backpack brands, you can create a group tag for “nvgroup_backpack” and any products that have been tagged with the specific group tag will be eligible for exchange as long as the products have the same variant options. The product categories for the products themselves can be different as long as they contain the same variant options (see chart below).
Check out this video to see how to apply the group tag prefix and group products together for recommended exchanges.
- Navigate to the Shopify product library, click Products from the left menu in Shopify.
- Verify that the items you are grouping have the same variant options.
- Select the items to be grouped.
- Click on the More Actions drop-down menu, select Add Tags, and add your unique group tags (ex. nvgroup_joggers, nvgroup_customrings, nvgroup_puffers).
Test Recommended Exchanges
Perform a test exchange through your Shopify store using one of the products you added group tags to in order to see if Recommended Exchanges has been enabled and set up successfully. If everything has been set up properly for the items you have selected, you will see the “Products” dropdown menu in addition to your regular variants menu.
- For the best customer experience, do not group more than 8-10 items in a group tag.
- Items being grouped must have the same variant options such as sizes and colors.
- Retailers should consider which items are most frequently exchanged, sold, and returned and apply group tags to the relevant products so customers see exchange suggestions.
- Group tags should focus on “tried and true” alternatives; highly rated products that have historically shown lower return rates.
- Do you want to let customers exchange items of different prices?
- If you answer Yes:
- You will be able to group products with the same variants (like size and color) together to show recommended exchanges for items of different SKUs regardless of price.
- A payment gateway will be required to account for situations where an exchange involves two items with different prices. Submit a support ticket to have Narvar connect Shopify Checkout for you.
- If you answer No:
- You will be able to group products with the same variants (like size and color) together to show recommended exchanges for items of different SKUs, but only for the same price.
- If you answer Yes:
- Do you charge customers for shipping, handling, or restocking costs?
- If you charge your customers for shipping, handling, or restocking fees related to exchange items, you will be asked to set up a payment gateway to make sure your customers have a way to pay you for their additional charges. We recommend that retailers do not charge for shipping, handling, or restocking fees related to exchange items.